The church, located on the ancient street of Zvannitsa, Pskov, was erected in honor of St. Varlaam, who founded the Khutynsky monastery on the outskirts of Novgorod. The first news of it dates back to 1466. The temple is a direct participant in all the most important historical events that took place on the Pskov land. So, in the "Tale of the arrival of the Swedish king Gustav Adolf to the city of Pskov" for 1615, located in the temple archives, it is reported that the Russians, having closed in the church, fired at the invaders from its heads. Also in the parish archives stored information about the miracles performed by prayer in front of the ancient image of the Mother of God "All the grieving joy", located in the temple porch.
In the XIX century. the church was rebuilt: the octopus roof and the southern limit were altered, choirs with a cast-iron staircase were arranged, the northern extension, consisting of three rooms, and the porch were erected. In addition, a spiritual and educational center was built at the temple, which included a school for several dozen boys and girls, accommodations for teachers and servants, and household extensions. After the Great October Socialist Revolution, this building was turned into a residential building. Church services were resumed in 1942 by priest Konstantin Shakhovsky, during the German occupation of Pskov.
Thus, the temple of St. Varlaam has an interesting history, covering various epochs of the Russian state, and an extraordinary architecture that combines the features of a single-apsed church and an eclectic style.