Say: “Smead”. And it seems that you will feel the taste of honey and hear the voice of one of the great ancestors of the Smolensk princes dynasty Rostislav Mstislavich: "I was there, honey, drinking beer." In 1127, during the reign of Mstislav the Great, he received the Smolensk table and founded a princely settlement on the Smyadyn river. Once there was a pier for foreign ships and boats, the princely palace was built.
Smeadin is first mentioned in the annals around 1015. As the chronicle narrates, on the orders of one of the heirs of Prince Vladimir of Kiev, Svyatopolk, the brothers Boris (on the Alte river at Pereyaslavl) and Gleb (on the Smyadyn river in Smolensk) were killed.
How did it happen? The son of Prince Vladimir, Gleb, passing through Smolensk, stopped at the mouth of the river Smydyan, which flowed into the Dnieper. On September 5, 1015, by order of Svyatopolk, Prince Gleb was killed.
Later the body of the prince (like his previously killed brother Boris) was transported to Vyshgorod. The chronicle, telling about this incident, testifies that this place (Smyadyn) "snaps (see) seized the city." In the XI century. it has not yet been inhabited, in some places covered with forest. In honor of the saints Boris and Gleb in 1145 “in Smolensk, on Smyadyn, laying the church to the stone of Sts. Boris and Gleb in Grad.
The first Russian saints, Boris and Gleb, became heavenly patrons of the Smolensk princely house (Rostislavichi).
On August 21, 1191, under Prince David, the “great sacredness” of the Boris and Gleb cathedral on Smyadyn was performed. In Smolensk Borisoglebsky Cathedral from Vyshgorod near Kiev transferred the ancient crayfish, which previously housed the relics of the first two Russian saints. Probably, the dilapidated tombs of Boris and Gleb were placed in the eastern aisles of the galleries. And in 1197 Prince David was buried here. Probably, it was his burial in a white stone tomb in an arcosol (wall niche) of the cathedral that was discovered in 1833, during the defeat of the ruins of an ancient shrine. From this burial, only half of the white-stone sarcophagus reached us, which was broken in the 1950s at the direction of the director of the historical museum. Now the rest is stored in the Smolensk Museum-Reserve. Recent archaeological research has helped unravel several mysteries. It turned out that the Smyadyn River over the centuries has changed the location of its bed. And what has traditionally been considered to be remnants of the walls of the Vasilyevsky Church are just traces of previous excavations. The walls of the temple are not preserved. Archaeologists have been able to detect debris plinf, roofing nails, small fragments of old Russian ceramics and plaster with painting.
Today, the place where the Boris and Gleb monastery stood was not empty. In 1991, a large stone with a cross carved on it and a memorial inscription was placed on the supposed place of the death of Prince Gleb. And in 2013, the Church of Boris and Gleb began to operate. On its outer wall to the left of the entrance is the icon of Saints Boris and Gleb, “The Image of Love, Unfeigned”.